Hempstead
Parish Council

2021
January February March April May June
July August September October November December

Parish Council Contact List

ResponsibilitiesNameTelephone
Chairman + Police Liason + Village HallSean McCarthy01799 599558
Village WebsiteDiana Frost01799 599771
EnvironmentAlan Weedon01799 599366
Traffic and Legal IssuesMark Welbourn01799 599238
Highways + Public FootpathsDavid Drane01799 599397
Neighbourhood Watch + Tree WardenLaura Saxel 
Clerk + Responsible OfficerMartyn Long 
MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF HEMPSTEAD PARISH COUNCIL

held at the Village Hall on Monday 11th January 2021
Present: Part Time:
Members of the Public:

The Parish Council meeting started at 7.35pm

  1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

    Mr Alan Weedon
    District Councillor Richard Freeman
    County Councillor Simon Walsh

  2. REPORTS FROM DISTRICT OR COUNTY COUNCILLORS

    A report from the County Councillor had been circulated.

  3. MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING

    12th November 2020. Revised minutes from the Draft had been circulated prior to the meeting, these were agreed as a correct record.

  4. MATTERS ARISING

    Wellyard Parking – It was confirmed that this issue has now been resolved. No further action required at the present time.
    UDC Ward Members Grant – The Clerk confirmed that the grant for £500 had been received. It was agreed that the grant should be put towards purchasing a new bench to go by the telephone box. Action: Diana Frost to purchase bench. Nuisance Dogs – The Chairman had received reports of 2-3 dogs running free in the village and attacking other dogs. Action: Email to be drafted by the Chairman to be sent out to residents.
  5. FINANCE

    Precept and Budget – The Clerk had circulated a draft Budget for 2021/22 prior to the meeting. After discussion it was agreed that the Precept for 2021/22 should remain at £9250 and that the following amounts should be included in the Budget: Clerk/Councillor Training £100, Well-being General Maintenance £1000, VHMC Donation £1000, Neighbours Event £500, VE Day Celebration £250, VETS Training £175 and Christmas Tree £80. Action: The Clerk to submit the precept request for £9250 and draw up the final 2021/22 Budget.

  6. PLANNING

    French’s Farm: UTT/20/3361/HHF. Extension to roof to form enlarged first floor accommodation and other proposed changes to existing building. Agreed that no comments required.
    The Hawthorns: UTT/20/3045/HHF. Proposed first and single storey rear extensions. Agreed that no comments required.
    Oak House: UTT/20/1383/HHF. Proposed increase to height of existing wall and construction of fence. APPEAL SUBMITTED
    External Lighting on houses: The issue of external lighting on new houses being left on for an anti-social amount of time was raised. It was agreed that this was not a matter for the Council.

  7. CORRESPONDENCE

    TRACC Email – An email had been received from Uttlesford DC regarding accessibility mapping for the Local Plan. Action: Mark Welbourn to draft a response to be sent by the Clerk.
    BT Phone Box – Email received giving suggestions on how the phone box can be repurposed if it is decommissioned. It was agreed that once decommissioned a ‘manager’ of the phone box should be appointed to organise how and when it will be utilised. It was noted that once the phone box is decommissioned it will become the property of the Parish Council.
    Climate Emergency - Email received from EALC asking whether Parish Councils will be declaring a climate emergency. It was agreed that in Hempstead there is a limit to what can be achieved, but that the Parish Council is constantly mindful of the issues. Action: Clerk to reply on this basis.
    Local Heritage List – An email had been received requesting submissions for Local Heritage List. After discussion it was agreed that there was nothing in the Parish that needed to be put forward.

  8. NEIGHBOURHOOD WATCH & WELLBEING

    Health and Wellbeing Plan – Final version of plan to be put on the Village Website and noticeboard by the end of the month.
    Health and Wellbeing Conference – Laura Saxel had attended this very useful virtual conference, which provided inspiration and ideas for the future.
    Calling Tree – No responses have been received by residents, so this will be put on hold.

  9. HIGHWAYS AND RIGHTS OF WAY

    Byway and Village Road Surfaces – County Councillor Simon Walsh had been made aware of all current issues and has advised that all Highways’ maintenance issues be logged onto the Highways section on ECC Website directly. Action: David Drane to log issues.
    Grass Verge on Church Hill – The grass verge outside Pippins is being eroded due to cars being parked opposite outside the Almshouses. Action: To be logged with Essex Highways.

  10. ENVIRONMENT

    Railings – Some railings at Wellyard have now been repaired and renewed by ECC. Work on remaining railings should be completed by end March.
    Tree Felling/Pruning – Work is due to start on 25 January. Action: Laura Saxel to send letters to affected residents and email to be sent via the village distribution list.

  11. FLOODING

    Anso Road – Essex Highways are aware of the flooding issues. They are planning to come out and clear drains in both Anso Road and High Street in the near future, but no date currently available.
    High Street – Anglia Water are still to inspect the suspected spring by Bellropes.

  12. COMMUNICATIONS

    Resident Emails – Affinity Water advice and Transport Survey had been sent to residents.
    Website Accessibility Statement is being updated to insure it meets current standards.
    Village History Archive – Documents and photos have been most gratefully received from the Slee family, and have now been uploaded to the Village Website.

  13. DEFIBRILLATOR

    No update.

  14. VILLAGE HALL

    Village Hall Management Committee AGM will be held on Zoom on 11 February.

  15. ANNUAL REPORT

    The Annual Report will be published as usual and if circumstances allow a public meeting will be arranged. Action: Councillors to provide submissions to the Clerk for inclusion in the Annual Report, as soon as possible.

  16. EMERGENCY PLAN The draft Emergency Plan prior was approved by the Council. Action: To be added to the Website, with information in its regard pinned to the noticeboard.

FUTURE MEETINGS - 4th February and 11th March 2021 at 7:30pm remotely on Zoom

The meeting ended at 9.09pm

For a printable version of these minutes please click here.


January February March April May June
July August September October November December


(Top of page)