Hempstead
Parish Council

2021
January February March April May June
July August September October November December

Parish Council Contact List

ResponsibilitiesNameTelephone
Chairman + Police Liason + Village HallSean McCarthy01799 599558
Village WebsiteDiana Frost01799 599771
EnvironmentAlan Weedon01799 599366
Traffic and Legal IssuesMark Welbourn01799 599238
Highways + Public FootpathsDavid Drane01799 599397
Neighbourhood Watch + Tree WardenLaura Saxel 
Clerk + Responsible OfficerMartyn Long 
Parish Council of Hempstead
Minutes of the Meeting of Hempstead Parish Council
held on Thursday 22nd April 2021
Present: Part Time:
Members of the Public:
  • George Smith

The Parish Council meeting started at 7:31pm

  1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

    Mr Alan Weedon.
    County Councillor Simon Walsh.

  2. REPORTS FROM DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS

    A report from the County Councillor had been circulated.

  3. MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING

    The Minutes of 11th March 2021 were agreed as a correct record, with a minor spelling error corrected. The Clerk to pass the Chairman for his signature.

  4. MATTERS ARISING

    Great British Spring Clean – Taking place between 28 May and 13 June. It was agreed that the Parish Council would promote to residents in the village newsletter.
    The Bluebell Inn – No further update on its reopening. It was agreed that if it doesn’t reopen in the summer the Parish Council will investigate how the asset can be brought back to the village.

  5. FINANCE

    Exemption Certificate and AGAR Documentation – The Exemption certificate and other AGAR documentation, circulated prior to the meeting with the draft 2020/21 cashbook, was APPROVED. Clerk to sign and pass to the Chairman for his signature ASAP.
    Internal Audit – The Clerk confirmed that Ross Midgely has agreed to once again carry out the Internal Audit for the Parish Council
    Asset Register – The Clerk circulated the Asset Register for 2021/22 prior to the meeting, which had been updated to include the new bench and the annual uplift to insured amounts. It was APPROVED.
    Regular Payments Pre-approval – All Councillors AGREED to the pre-approval of the following regular Parish Council payments:

    Standing OrdersRebecca Cox – Salary£282.36per month
    Brian Kitchen – Website£100.00per month
    Community HeartbeatDefibrillator Management£198.00per annum
    CPRESubscription£36.00per annum
    RCCESubscription£52.80per annum
    100 Parishes SocietySubscription£10.00per annum
    Royal British legionsDonation£25.00per annum
    Essex HeritageDonation£25.00per annum
    Unity TrustService Charge£76.00per annum
    Grass Cutting Greens etcPayments to Julian BashamUp to £2300 budget

    After discussion it was agreed that the Parish Council donating to Stansted Airport Watch (formally Stop Stansted Expansion), should be raised at the Annual Parish Meeting at the end of May.

    Payments – The following payments were approved by all Councillors:
    £147.09 to EALC/NALC Affiliation fees for 2021/22.
    £110.44 to Diana Frost for new chains for the War Memorial and bottom of Church Hill.

    These invoices plus one for Julian Basham (£430 Fuel + Cuts 1 & 2) to be passed to The Chairman for signature ASAP.

  6. PLANNING

    Cracknells Cottage: UTT/21/1334/HHF. Replace existing garage with cart lodge. NO COMMENTS REQUIRED
    2 Lakehouse Cottages: UTT/21/1036/HHF. Removal of conifer hedge and erection of timber fence. NO COMMENTS REQUIRED
    The Russets: UTT/21/0422/CLE. Removal of agricultural occupancy condition, allowing unrestricted residential occupancy. APPROVED
    Bracken House: UTT/21/0504/HHF. Erection of detached garage and workshop. APPROVED
    French’s Farm: UTT/21/0437/HHF. Erection of single storey outbuilding and single storey double cartlodge. APPROVED
    5 Longcroft: UTT/21/0105/HHF. Erection of detached garden room. APPROVED
    The Hawthorns: UTT/20/3045/HHF. Proposed first and single storey rear extensions. APPROVED

    Newlands: UTT/20/2012/FUL. Erection of 1 no. one storey dwelling. APPEAL SUBMITTED
  7. CORRESPONDENCE

    Remote Meetings Legislation – The current emergency legislation that has allowed for remote Parish Council meetings to take place is due to expire on 6 May 2021. The Clerk to update the Parish Council if this situation changes. It is hoped that the next PC meeting will be held in person, in the Village Hall on 20 May.

  8. NEIGHBOURHOOD WATCH & WELLBEING

    Health and Wellbeing Plan – Laura Saxel confirmed that she will shortly be carrying out the quarterly check to ensure it is up to date.

    Learning and Disability Awareness – Laura Saxel to put something into the next Village Newsletter on this subject.

  9. HIGHWAYS AND RIGHTS OF WAY

    Road resurfacing – David Drane has received confirmation from Essex Highways that Hill Road will be included in the 2021/22 Micro-Surfacing Programme, as well as High Street through Hempstead. Work is likely to take place in June and July according to the one.network website.

    The Clerk is still awaiting confirmation from County Broadband that no further excavation of High Street is to take place, despite repeated emails and phone messages. It was agreed that the Clerk should send a further email to County Broadband ASAP, stating that any excavation work would not be allowed once the resurfacing work had taken place.

  10. ENVIRONMENT

    Railings etc – New chains for the War Memorial and the bottom of Church Hill have been purchased and installed, and the War Memorial had kindly been cleaned by David Dunn. The refurbishment of the remaining village railings was discussed. It was agreed that David Drane should contact the Highways Rangers to see if they would be able to carry out the work.
    Trees – It was agreed that the Willow next to the War Memorial and the Ring O’ Trees are in need of pruning/pollarding. The Chairman had received a quote of £550 for the work from Chas Johnson. It was agreed that the quote was acceptable to the Parish Council.
    Climate and Biodiveristy Emergency – Readdress at the next PC meeting. Clerk to re-send the email to Councillors.

  11. FLOODING

    ECC Highways have confirmed that village drains will be looked at in the summer.

  12. COMMUNICATIONS

    Various communication issues were discussed, including the Hempstead Facebook page and the Radwinter Unlocked event taking place in July. It was agreed that the Parish Council would formalise plans for various village social events, to occur after social distancing restrictions have been lifted, at the next meeting.

  13. DEFIBRILLATOR

    The defibrillator continues to be checked on a regular basis.

  14. VILLAGE HALL

    No update

  15. ANNUAL REPORT

    Final draft circulated to Councillors prior to the meeting. Diana Frost suggested some amendments. All Councillors APPROVED. Report to be circulated during the second week in May.

  16. EMERGENCY PLAN

    Formal review to take place in January 2022.

FUTURE MEETINGS - 20th May at 8pm in the Village Hall

The Annual Parish Meeting will be held on Friday 28th May 2021 at 8pm in the Village Hall
The meeting ended at 8:38pm

For a printable version of these minutes please click here.


January February March April May June
July August September October November December


(Top of page)